Diagnoses, manages, and treats conditions and diseases of the human eye and visual system. Examine eyes and visual system, diagnose problems or impairments, prescribe corrective lenses, and provide treatment.
- Ensures implementation of the Ministry of Health regulations, the Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules and Regulations and the Emergency Room Department Policy and Guidelines.
- Diagnosis and treatment of patients referred to department and responsible to run his/her own clinic.
- Evaluates medical and surgical histories. Assesses visual and refractive status, measures intraocular pressure, and examines the eye and adnexa.
- Performs necessary diagnostic procedures and clinical tests. Interprets results, determines treatment plan, and discusses with patient.
- Prescribes drugs or treatment, including repeat prescriptions, only when you have adequate knowledge of the patient's health, and are satisfied that the drugs or treatment serve the patient's need.
- Keeps clear, accurate and legible records, reporting the relevant clinical findings, the decisions made, the information given to patients, and any drugs prescribed or other investigation or treatment.
- Advises on kind and quantity of ophthalmological supplies and equipment. Coordinates ophthalmological services with other medical activities.
- Maintains the highest professional standard of documentation in line with policies and procedures and internationally accepted standards.
- Maintains outpatient's summaries and shall prepare reports and statistical analysis as required of him; such reports will be prepared in a timely manner in accordance with the standards within the Department.
- Keeps current with new procedures and techniques in the field of his/her specialty.
- Required to be involved in the departmental Performance Improvement activities. To follow a well-organized and systematic protocol inside the department regarding attendance, regulation, referral policies, etc., in a professional way and not according to his/her personal relations, convenience or preference of one staff to another.
Education and Experience
- MBBS and Master Degree in Ophthalmology
- Minimum 1 year of experience post Master Degree in relevant specialty
- Good communication skills.
- Knowledge of Required Organizational practices/patient safety standards.
- Command over professional code of ethics, medical bylaws.
- Knowledge of evidence based Age specific/ Population specific patient care clinical guidelines accepted by the hospital.
- Culturally competent (Kuwaiti patients' culture and beliefs).
- AHA certified Basic Life support provider.
Dar Al Shifa Hospital